School History

E. Barbour Hutchison Elementary School was founded in 1975 and, today, has a rich multicultural student population that includes children from more than 28 countries. The first public school building in the Town of Herndon was constructed in 1868 on Center Street. The building was originally a one-room frame structure and was later expanded to three rooms. This school opened two-years before the founding of FCPS, and was absorbed into the public school system’s Dranesville School District in 1875.

The Herndon School, circa 1905, after it had been expanded to three rooms. From the J. Berkley Green Collection of the Herndon Historical Society.
The Herndon School, circa 1905, after it had been expanded to three rooms. From the J. Berkley Green Collection of the Herndon Historical Society.

The first known teacher of the Herndon School was David Sanford L. Johnson, a native New Yorker who was born in the late 1830s. Surviving records indicate that he was the teacher during the period of 1871-72. Other known teachers of this school during the late 19th and early 20th centuries are Edgar E. Kidwell, Sadie C. Detwiler, Harvey Earlton Hanes, and Edwin Barbour Hutchison, for whom our is named.

E. Barbour Hutchison
Edwin Barbour Hutchison, the namesake of Hutchison Elementary and our mascot, Edwin the Eagle

Design & Construction

In October 1973, the Fairfax County School Board approved the construction of a new school on a 13-acre tract of land at Reflection Lake near the town of Herndon. During the design and construction process, our school was referred to as Reflection Lake Elementary School. In May 1974, the School Board awarded the contract for the construction of our school to Hill & Kimel, Inc., in the amount of $1,729,000. Also in May, the School Board hired the architectural firm of Musolino & Hunton to design our building, stipulating that it must be able to house 660 students. At its meeting on December 12, 1974, the School Board officially named our school for Edwin Barbour Hutchison, a former teacher and principal during the early 1900s at the Town of Herndon’s first public school on Center Street.

Throughout the history of the school "every child can and every child will" has permeated all decision-making. In response to the challenge of SOLs, all resources collaborate for maximum support for each child. Classroom teachers, reading teachers, SOL teachers, ESOL teachers, the Title I teacher, special educators, counselors, the parent liaison, administrators, instructional assistants, and community members each play a significant role in supporting an overall plan for success. Teamwork within and between teams creates continuity and consistency of program delivery. 

TV Coverage of Hutchison's Accreditation

What's in a Name?

Learn about our school's namesake in this video produced for Fairfax County Public Schools’ cable television channel Red Apple 21.